The Students Healthy Action Council
‘The key to making change is to involve teenagers in the design and implementation of physical activity initiatives for schools’, Professor Niall Moyna, who oversees the Irish Life Health Schools’ Fitness Challenge, completed by over 200,000 students, at the Centre for Preventive Medicine at Dublin City University.
- The aim of the Council members is to contribute ideas to helping kids worldwide become healthier with a focus on increasing activity levels.
- 12 students from anywhere in the world can be part of the SHAC.
- Students can nominate themselves or teachers/parents/carers can nominate them.
Council members are :-
- aged between 11 and 17 years.
- full-time students at school/home-school.
- are able to participate in three on-line live 15 minute council meetings during the year, complete two online surveys and put 1 hour or more into working on a project of their choosing to assist others at their school to be more active.
- are keen to share ideas and brainstorm.
- able to provide parental/carer consent.
It is intended that the Council will include members with different levels of fitness and interests in physical activity and be representative of the diversity in age, race, gender, ethnic and socio- economic backgrounds.
What’s in it for students
- A free entry for their school into the Catch Fitness School Challenge.
- A chance to share ideas and help more students be more active.
- Something cool to put on their CV.
- A council member certificate.
Students simply need to:-
- tell us at email@example.com why they would like to be on the Council. They can do this via a short email, video, audio or picture. Their message should be shared with one parent/carer and their teacher before submitting to us.
- provide us with the email address of one parent/carer and their teacher.
We will get in contact within 14 days of receiving the application.